World Digestive Health Day 2008 - Optimal Health and Nutrition
"Each year the Word Gastroenterology Organisation celebrates World Digestive Health Day (WDHD) on the 29th of May, the anniversary of the founding of the organisation in Washington DC, USA in 1958, by highlighting an important topic in the area of digestive health and disease. Such has been the success of prior topics, such as helicobacter pylori and hepatitis, that this year we have extended activities around this years topic, nutrition and digestive health to cover the entire year. We are delighted that, in this year when we celebrate our 50th anniversary, so many activities relating to this crucial topic are being planned by our colleagues in national societies throughout the world. Working together we can make fellow health care professionals, the general public and our governments more aware of issues, local, national and global, relating to nutrition and, especially, as they relate to digestive health and disease."
Eamonn Quigley, President WGO
Around the campaign, the following exciting World Digestive Health Day/Year activities are planned:
- Map of Digestive Disorders headed by Dr. Francisco Guarner for reference by nutritional scientists
Map of Digestive Disorders ( )
- 10 nutritional recommendations to improve Digestive Health developed by a WGO Scientific Task Force for reference by consumers and healthcare/nutritional professionals
10 nutritional recommendations ( )
Daily tips to improve digestive health ( )
- publication of two WGO Global Guidelines on Probiotics and Obesity for reference by healthcare/nutritional professionals
View Guideline on Probiotics here
- a special issue of World Gastroenterology News and E-News on Nutrition and Probiotics in Digestive Health for circulation to our 50,000 members
- emphasising the theme as part of the curriculum in all nine postgraduate training centres throughout the world
- distribution of a public awareness DVD to all WGO members addressing current and emerging issues in digestive health for gastroenterologists.
Public events in honour of WDHD
WGO encourages all members to organise an event to raise awareness about Optimal Nutrition in Health and Disease in their community. Learn more