World Digestive Health Day 2008 provided various tools and resources for use across the globe in support of the 2008 campaign.
1. Eat smaller and more frequent meals without increasing overall calorie intake: 4-5 smaller meals rather than 2-3 large meals per day.
2. Include fiber from food sources, such as 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day and increase daily consumption of whole grains and/or legumes.
3. Increase intake of fish: 3 to 5 times per week.
4. Reduce intake of higher fat, greasy and fried foods.
5. Consume fermented dairy products, especially probiotics with proven benefits on digestive health.
6. Preferentially select meats with lower fat content such as chicken, turkey, rabbit… or lean cuts of beef, pork, or lamb.
7. Increase intake of water "2 liters of drinking water/day" while decreasing intake of caffeinated, alcoholic and sugar rich beverages.
8. Take adequate time for eating and chew food slowly and well.
9. Practice a healthy lifestyle including regular exercise and abstaining from smoking.
10. Maintain a healthy body mass index; obese individuals experience more digestive disorders.
You can also download a PDF version of the Tips.