The WGO Foundation
Make a Donation
The WGO Foundation is the philanthropic resource for the World Gastroenterology Organisation (WGO). Incorporated as a 501 (c)(3) organization in 2007, the WGO Foundation was established as a strategic response to increasing demand to solicit financial support for WGO’s global and developing low-resource country training and educational programs.
WGO Foundation Mission
To raise financial support to develop and sustain the WGO’s global training and education programs, especially in developing low-resource countries.
WGO’s global training and educational programs benefit:
- All communities, thereby closing the information gap between ‘haves’ and ‘have not’s’
- Communities in developing low-resource countries by retarding the exodus of healthcare workers – African countries currently lose approximately 75%* of their medical workforce
- Patients with digestive ailments in previously unserved or underserved areas by supporting the development and retention of a trained and skilled cohort of digestive health specialists
- Quality of life for the entire population through educational and PR efforts to:
- Increase awareness of digestive health
- Promote recognition of the earliest signs of digestive disease and the appropriate response
- Encourage active participation in preventive health measures
- Digestive health specialists and allied healthcare workers of the future by providing access to free, accessible, locally appropriate and independent education coupled with relevant skills training
- Digestive health specialists and allied healthcare workers by supporting them through their inclusion and ongoing participation in the WGO global network
Reasons for Supporting the WGO Foundation
Digestive disorders – from diarrhea to obesity to cancer – are ranked by the World Health Organisation in the 10 leading causes of mortality, and are the single greatest cause of cancer death. Unfortunately, however, these disorders rank disproportionately low in both public awareness and healthcare priority in many countries.
It is only through the continuous education and training of gastroenterology professionals in their own countries that the WGO’s campaigns will succeed – from public awareness programs for Hepatitis in the developing world to preventative cancer screening in the developed world.
WGO Foundation Board
The WGO Foundation is fortunate to have secured the services of leaders from industry and the medical community representing every corner of the world.
View the WGO Foundation Board
Contact the WGO Secretariat