The Khartoum Training Center was inaugurated in Khartoum, Sudan on January 10, 2015 as a WGO Training Center. The Khartoum Training Center is recognized as one of the few well-established centers in central Africa, especially considering the shortage of ERCP service in the region. The implementation of a Training Center under the umbrella of the World Gastroenterology Organisation (WGO) was a logical step and a requirement to move forward and to implement a structured training at a global standard. The service is expected to be easily disseminated into the region, taking notice of an increasing number of applications received at the Training Center from neighboring countries
- To establish a WGO endoscopy, laparoscopy, & ultrasonography training center.
- To upgrade the level of endoscopy services in the country and the region, especially in countries with disabled medical facilities.
- To help with the establishment and support of a postgraduate medical and surgical gastroenterology training fellowship program in nearby countries.
- To upgrade the level of patient care and patient safety by developing local guidelines.
- To improve the quality and training for endoscopy nursing.
- 50 ward beds for joint surgical and medical admissions in addition to intermediate and intensive care beds
- Well equipped surgical theater with facilities for laparoscopy
- Outpatient referral clinics accommodating eight doctors and eight patients at a time
- Endoscopy unit
- Motility Lab
- Emergency bleeding center, which is the location of the WGO Khartoum Training Center
The teaching facilities include:
- 12 hour working library
- Video learning center room
- Research Laboratory
- Endoscopy Simulator Room
- Three lecture rooms with the capacity to accommodate 100, 50, and 30 doctors. The rooms are equipped with multimedia and audio systems.
- Two video conference systems, allowing for conference calls, lectures, and consultations from anywhere, as well as transmissions of live demonstrations.
The Training Center has agreements with the following teaching hospitals:
- Soba University Hospital
- Alribat University Hospital
- Research Laboratory
The following international entities have organized courses in collaboration with the Training Center and plan to continue to do so in the future:
- SALAMAT – Sudan and London Association Medical Aid Trust
- AGMAN – Arab German Medical Alumni Network
- EFSUMB – European Federation of Societies for Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology
- Algazira Centre
Areas of Training:
The Khartoum Training Center offers:
- Short training courses in Endoscopy, Laparoscopy, and Ultrasound. It also plans to hold Train the Trainers courses and international endoscopy and gastroenterology web symposia.
- Long-term courses as follows:
- 6-month trainings focusing on advanced training for endoscopists in ERCP, EUS, Motility, and capsule endoscopy.
- 1-year training in basic endoscopy and gastroenterology for one specialist in general medicine from another country.
- 1-year training in GIT surgery for one specialist in general surgery.
- 6-month training in ultrasound
For further information on courses, national and international trainees should contact:
Dr. Abdelmounem E. Abdo:
For more comprehensive information on the Khartoum Training Center, including details of the course offerings, please refer to the downloadable pdf:
> Khartoum Training Center Information Packet ()
For a newspaper article covering the Khartoum Training Center inauguration: Sudan Vision Daily Newspaper article
Click on image to enlarge
Khartoum Training Center.
Attendees at the Khartoum Training Center inauguration ceremony.
Then WGO Foundation Chairman, Professor Eamonn Quigley, presenting plaque at inauguration ceremony.